Finals Week

7 Self-Care Tips to Survive Finals Week

Finals week can be one of the most stressful weeks during the semester. Stress can have a negative effect on your overall well-being. For this reason, it is especially important to maintain your mental and physical health during this week of seemingly unending torture. Through all the time spent studying for tests, it can be difficult to find time to care for yourself. DoSomething.org has provided some helpful tips on how to reduce stress as part of its campaign to bring attention to the harmful effects of stress on mental health. Here are some tips to give your mind and body a fighting chance during finals week.

1. Sleep is a Necessity

You may have heard that it is recommended that an adult gets 6-8 hours of sleep every night. As college students, it may be hard to maintain a schedule that allows the adequate amount of time for proper rest. However, it is important to make time in your busy schedule to catch some zzz’s. DoSomething.org also recommends taking a nap to help reduce stress.

2. Maintain Healthy Eating Habits

Eating proper meals is another important way to maintain your health during finals. Although some students may do this, skipping meals is never recommended. You should pack healthy snacks for studying. Certain vegetables and fruits, such as blueberries, may help keep you focused and energized as you study.

3. Take a Step Back and Breathe

Whenever you feel as if your brain is going to explode, take a break. Do some breathing exercises. Take some time to refocus and regain your thoughts. According to DoSomething.org, chewing gum-especially blowing bubbles- helps reduce stress. So, take a breather and chew a stick of gum.

4. Exercise

For some, exercise can be the perfect stress-relieving activity. The endorphins released as a result of exercising reduce stress levels, according to DoSomething.org. Exercising helps you give yourself a break by taking your mind off of your planner.

5. No Cramming!

Cramming has been proven to be an ineffective study habit. Preparing a daily or weekly schedule will ensure you make a wise use of your time. Planning out your studying schedule can help you feel more organized and in control of your time. By spacing out your studying, you will better your comprehension of the material and hopefully improve your chances of acing your final.  

6. Make Time to Relax

Although you may feel as if all your time should be devoted to studying, you should also set aside time to relax. DoSomething.org recommends listening to music or watching a funny video to help relieve some of the stress accumulated during finals week. If neither of these suit you, just do something that temporarily gets your mind off studying for a bit.

Understanding the importance of your mental health is key to having a successful finals week. As a way to help the students at UWF alleviate some stress during this time, The Argonautica team has posted motivational messages throughout the campus to provide positive encouragement for those drowning in the stress of finals. For more helpful advice on how to reduce stress, you can read “How to Control Your Stress” on the DoSomething.org website.

https://www.dosomething.org/us/articles/how-control-stress

By Jaisiana Edwards

The Argonautica is the Greek epic poem that tells the story of Jason and the Argonauts journey to retrieve the Golden Fleece. As the University of West Florida's premier student-led magazine for the UWF community, we will tell the story of today's Argos. Our magazine covers everything Argo and everything Argos want to read.

%d bloggers like this: