Health & Sports

5 Things You Don’t Know About The Gym at UWF

Finals are just around the corner, Argos! ‘Tis the season for seemingly unachievable final projects and studying that takes up more time than you have to spare. Stress and finals go together like peanut butter and jelly, so don’t forget to take time for yourself and clear your head. Explore the opportunities for you at the gym on campus! Here are 5 things you didn’t know about the Health, Leisure and Sports Center at UWF.

1. Free Massages

Finally, stop by the Wellness Center to get a 30-minute massage for free! Chair Massages are available by appointment, as are many different programs that can help students work on their well-being. Cool down after all the exploring and grab a smoothie from ArgoFuel, a wellness cafe conveniently located in the lobby of the Fitness Center. 

2. The Rock Wall

UWF has a climbing center with a 36-foot rock wall and two bouldering caves that can be found right in the heart of the fitness center! The whole fitness center is 10,000 square feet and offers a two-level cardio and weight lifting area. The staff is extremely attentive and welcoming, so it’s easy to take advantage of all the fitness center has to offer. 

3. Outdoor Adventures

Outdoor Adventures, known as OA, encompasses many exciting programs that give students the ability to grow and explore while doing activities they love. During spring break, students take a trip to Vermont to ski and any level of experience is welcome. Students can also take trips around our community, or venture farther, canoeing, rock climbing, or even swimming with manatees.

4. Diverse Classes

The Health, Leisure, and Sports center offer a handful of classes suited just for your fitness and activity interests and goals! Zumba, Yoga, Cycling, and Bootcamp classes are just a few of the options that UWF has to offer.

5. The Size

The fitness center has a three-court gym, one multipurpose single court gym, and four courts for handball, racquetball, squash, table tennis, and wallyball enthusiasts. Students can also travel one building over to the aquatic center (Bldg. 73) and swim in an Olympic size pool where students are welcome to dive and swim at their leisure or participate in lap swimming.  

To find out more about the fitness center at UWF and the opportunities available to you, visit their website at www.UWF.edu/recreation. Follow their social media too!

Instagram and Twitter @uwfrec

Facebook: UWF Recreation  

By Annibell Bananni

The Argonautica is the Greek epic poem that tells the story of Jason and the Argonauts journey to retrieve the Golden Fleece. As the University of West Florida's premier student-led magazine for the UWF community, we will tell the story of today's Argos. Our magazine covers everything Argo and everything Argos want to read.

%d bloggers like this: